What are the pros and cons of VPS services? Which group of customers should use VPS?
VPS - Virtual Private Server is made up of a method of dividing a physical server into multiple virtual servers based on virtualization technology. A VPS has the equivalent of full administrative and configuration functions like a physical server, so there will be specific customer groups that should use the VPS service.
Each virtual server is a completely separate system with its own operating system. Therefore, users can control the root management and reboot the system at any time. This protects VPS from local hacking almost 100%. In the event that one VPS account is hacked, the other VPS will not be affected. This is an advantage compared to using shared hosting because shared hosting will increase the risk of being affected by other hosting in the same system.
Advantages of VPS services
- Using independent, non-shared, restricted resources affected by other users.
- Make the most of server resources, reducing the number of unnecessary physical servers.
- Create an ideal environment for test projects because these activities do not require physical servers.
- Renting a VPS helps you save money instead of renting a private server.
- Completely acts as a separate server with separate CPU, ram, HDD, IP address and separate operating system.
- Used to set up VPS Web Server, Mail Server as well as other applications. You can access the site using a web browser on a VPS, high download / upload speed.
- Easily upgrade without restarting the system.
- Promptly reinstall the operating system within 5-10 minutes.
- Allows you to choose the appropriate VPS configuration according to your needs.
Disadvantages of VPS services
- The stability of VPS is affected by physical server operation.
- Limited resources of physical servers must be shared with many different customers.
- Request administrative skills of users
- The cost for VPS may be higher than shared hosting. Although more flexible, but VPS only benefit when you know how to use.
Which group of customers should use VPS services?
Virtual server is a popular solution for programming, web design, e-commerce companies ... Specifically, we can be divided into four main groups:
- Web design (multi-site hosting, sand box, hosting client’s websites).
- Web developers (development platform, sand box, bespoke scripts & software)
- Advanced Webmaster (large websites, dynamic functionality, multi-site hosting, bespoke scripts & software, database server & email server).
- Enterprises (high resource website, ecommerce, media streaming, database & email server, data storage).
As mentioned above, using VPS is not simple, you need the necessary management skills. Therefore, it can be seen that the main customers of VPS are IT people and people with management experience.
Currently, there are many VPS service providers on the market. However, it is necessary to choose a reputable VPS service provider, with a clear commitment to the parameters of the VPS service to ensure the best benefits when using the service.